The Recording exercise item type allows users:
- To play an audio or video file
- To make their own audio or video recording
- To compare their recording to the original.
Note: To be able to make a video recording, the users need to have a webcam installed on their computer.
Allowing camera and microphone access
If you did not set the camera and microphone access yet, the Adobe Flash Player Settings dialog box will appear. Click Allow there to allow the application to access your camera and microphone as long as you remain logged on.
To allow permanent access to your camera and microphone, proceed as follows:
- Right click in the Edumatic screen.
- Choose Settings.
- Select Remember.
- Click Close.
Procedure to create a recording exercise
To create a Recording exercise, you can:
- Use a media file From Media Library or From local device.
- Create your own media file.
Proceed as follows to create a Recording exercise:
- Right click the folder in which you want the Recording exercise to appear.
- Select New item.
Result: The screen Make new item appears
- Select the item type Recording exercise.
- Give it a name.
- Click OK.
- Open the tab Properties to add or change the metadata of this item.
- Open the tab Content and click on the text icon to add a text field or the asset icon to add an image, sound or video , ...
Adding an existing media file
To add a media file from the Media Library or from a local device, proceed as follows:
- Click +Media.
Result: The Add media window opens.
- Select From local device or From Media library.
- Browse to the file and click Open.
- Click Play in the media player to verify your media file.
- Click Save.
Creating a new media file
To create your own media file, proceed as follows:
Click + Media to add your source file.
- Click Recording in the Add media window.
- Click the Record button to make your recording.
Note: If you do not want to make a video recording, click (Activate microphone) to de-activate your camera.
- Click Stop to finish your recording.
Your recording is added as source file. To playback your recording, click the Play button.
- If you want to replace your recording by a new recording, repeat steps 1 to 4.
Note that source recording is only available in Chrome (version 49 or higher) or Firefox (version 30 or higher).
If you are working in a browser which does not support the source recording, the source recording functionality will be disabled.
Disabling video recording
As an author, you can choose whether the user should make a video recording or an audio recording only (without video).
You find this option in the Question tab of your recording item.
Result in the Edumatic player:
- If the option Audio only is selected, the user will not be able to make video recordings.
- If the option Audio and Video is selected, video recording is automatically enabled in the Edumatic player.
When no webcam is available on the user’s computer, only audio will be recorded.
When you create a new recording item, the option Audio only is selected by default.
Scoring the exercise
In the Edumatic reporting module, you can play back the users’ recordings and give a score to the users’ recordings.
To be able to score the students'/candidates' responses for this exercise, proceed as follows:
- Go to Reporting > Manual scoring and search for your publication.
- Open the recording question.
- Open the Evaluation tab at the bottom of the page.
- Click Override.
- Enter the maximum score.
- Click Save.