The Recording exercise can be used for
- assessment of speaking, pronunciation or presentation skills
- assessment of simultaneous or consecutive interpreting skills
Note: To be able to make a video recording, the users need to have a webcam installed on their computer.
Allowing camera and microphone access in the backoffice
If you did not set allow camera and microphone access yet in the backoffice, you will be prompted to do so when you create a new Recording item. The Adobe Flash Player Settings dialog box will appear. Click Allow there to allow the application to access your camera and microphone as long as you remain logged on.
To allow permanent access to your camera and microphone, proceed as follows:
- Right click in the Edumatic screen.
- Choose Settings.
- Select Allow and check Remember.
- Click Close.
Procedure to create a recording exercise
Proceed as follows to create a Recording exercise:
- In Edumatic, right-click the folder in which you want the Recording exercise to appear and select New item.
Result: The dialog window Make new item appears.
- Enter the name of your item, select the item type Recording exercise, and click OK.
Result: the interface to create a new recording exercise appears. It consists of 2 tabs: Content and Properties.
- In the Content tab, click the Add text button and enter your instruction for the user.
- Click the + Media button.
Result: The Add media window opens.
- Select From local device or From Media library.
- Browse to the MP3 or MP4 source file and click Open.
Result: the source file has been added to the exercise.
- Change the Recording options according to your needs. See below for an overview of the options.
- In the Properties tab, add any metadata you want to associate with this exercise.
- Click Save.
Result: The Recording exercise has been saved.
Note: Do not forget to tick the checkbox “Approved” when you want to include your Recording exercise in a publication. Only approved items can be included.
The Recording exercise contains a number of options that are specific for this item type:
- Audio or Audio and video: Allows you to define whether you want a video recording of the student using his webcam, or only an audio recording. Note that when you select Audio and video, and the student does not have a webcam, you will only get an audio recording.
- Show the Play button: When checked, this option allows the user to play back the source file before he starts recording. When unchecked, the user is forced to start his recording immediately, without having the possibility to listen to or see the source file.
- Limit the number of attempts: Allows you to define how many times the user can start a new recording. Each recording will overwrite the previous one.
- By default, the number of attempts is unlimited.
- When it is limited, the user will see how many attempts remain in the assessmentQ player, and will see a warning message when he starts a new recording:
Scoring the exercise
In the Edumatic reporting module, you can play back the users’ recordings and give a score to the users’ recordings.
To be able to score the students'/candidates' responses for this exercise, proceed as follows:
- Go to Reporting > Manual scoring and search for your publication.
- Open the recording question.
- Open the Evaluation tab at the bottom of the page.
- Click Override.
- Enter the maximum score.
- Click Save.