Example of a Select text item type in the backend:
Proceed as follows to create a Select text item:
- Right click the folder in which you want the Select text item to appear.
- Select New item.
Result: The screen Make new item appears.
- Select the item type Select text item.
- Give it a name.
- Click OK.
- Open the tab Properties to add or change the metadata of this item.
- Open the tab Content and click on the text icon to add a text field or the asset icon to add an image, sound or video , ... .
- Enter the text in the text field below the Category button.
- Click +Category to insert a category.
Repeat this step until you have added all the needed categories.
- Click a category button to open the Category tab.
In the Category tab it is possible to:
- Add the category name. This name will be shown in the Edumatic player.
- Change the category colour by clicking the Colour icon.
- Click a category text marker and mark the category keywords in the text.
Result: The keywords are added in the corresponding Category tab.
Repeat this step for all categories.
- Click Save.
Scoring and correction for guessing
- By default the user receives 1 point for each correctly selected keyword and 0 points for each missing keyword, see answer 1 in the example below.
- By default correction for guessing is turned on. As a result, 1 point is deducted for each selection outside any category keywords lists. The point is deducted from the corresponding category score for which the user made an incorrect selection, see answer 2 in the example below.
- The category score, however, never goes below the category minimum score, see answer 3 in the example below.
In the examples below there are 3 nouns and 2 adjectives.
- Category score Nouns: min score = 0; max score = 3
- Category score Adjectives: min score = 0; max score = 2
The user correctly marked the 3 nouns, but only 1 adjective. The other adjective is marked as a noun.
- Total for Nouns = 3/3 (per correct keyword: +1).
- Total for Adjectives = 1/2 (one correct keyword: +1; one missing keyword: 0).
The user correctly marked the 3 nouns, but only 1 adjective. The other adjective is marked as a noun. The user additionally marked ‘yesterday’ as a noun and ‘read’ as an adjective.
- Total score for Nouns = 2/3 (per correct keyword +1; correction for guessing for ‘yesterday’: -1).
- Total score for Adjectives = 0/2 (one correct keyword: +1; one missing keyword: 0; correction for guessing for ‘read’: -1).
The user correctly marked the 3 nouns and the 2 adjectives, but incorrectly marked ‘yesterday’, ‘read’ and ‘before’ as adjectives.
- Total score for Nouns = 3/3 (per correct keyword +1).
- Total score for Adjectives = 0/2 (+2 for the correct keywords; -3 correction for guessing for 3 incorrect selections, but limited at category min score).
Editing correction for guessing
To deselect or change correction for guessing, proceed as follows:
- Open the Scoring tab at the bottom of the page.
- Deselect Use correction for guessing.
- Make the necessary changes in the score field, if you want to change the score deduction.
Scoring and punctuation
By default, punctuation marks are ignored during correction.
In the exercise below, both answers will receive the same score whether or not the full stop is included in the selection of ‘bed’.
Deselecting Ignore punctuation
Proceed as follows to deselect Ignore punctuation
- Open the Scoring tab
- Uncheck Ignore punctation.
Min or max scoring for categories
- If this option is selected, the user can only receive the maximum or minimum score for a category, no intermediate scores.
- In other words, if the user makes a single mistake for a certain category, he or she will receive the minimum score for this category.
- This option is by default deselected.
In the exercise below, the user incorrectly selected ‘yesterday’ as a noun. As the option Min or max score for categories is selected, he doesn’t get any points for the category nouns.
Selecting min or max score for categories
To select the option Min or max score for categories, proceed as follows:
- Open the Scoring tab.
- Uncheck Min or max score for categories.
Recalculating category score
This option allows an author to change the weight of a category score in an exercise.
In the exercise below the user needs to select the prepositions and the articles. There are 9 articles in the text versus 4 prepositions. As a result, the articles will have more weight in the score calculation. For the articles to have an equal weight in the score calculation, the author can select the recalculate option for the articles and set the max score to 4.
As a result the max score for this exercise becomes 8 instead of 13.
Recalculating a category score
To recalculate a category score, proceed as follows:
- Click the Category button to open the corresponding Category tab.
- Select Recalculate score.
- Change the score.