Safe Exam Browser (SEB) is a web browser environment to carry out online exams safely. The software turns any computer temporarily into a secure workstation. It controls access to resources like system functions, other websites and applications and prevents unauthorized resources being used during an exam.
SEB integration in assessmentQ
In assessmentQ, SEB is integrated by means of a Close SEB button on the assessmentQ access code page. This button allows the candidates to close SEB after finishing their exam without the intervention of a supervisor.
This option is particularly interesting in case of BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) exams.
Organizing assessmentQ exams with SEB
In this article we use the assessmentQ access code workflow to explain the organisation of assessmentQ exams with SEB.
The process to organize assessmentQ exams with SEB consists of the following steps:
- Prepare the access codes for your exams.
See Creating access codes for a publication.
- Install SEB on your computer and prepare the SEB config file where you define which processes, applications, and actions are allowed during the exam.
- Subsequently, install SEB on the computers in the exam room and save the SEB config file to each computer.
In case of BYOD exams (Bring Your Own Device), you need to distribute the config file in advance to the candidates and inform them to install SEB and to store the SEB config file on their device.
- To start the exam:
- Double-click the SEB config file to open the start page, i.e. the assessmentQ acces code page, on each computer in the exam room.
- Distribute the access codes to the candidates.
- After the exam, quit SEB using the SEB exit option(s) you defined in the SEB config file.
Preparing the SEB config file
Proceed as follows to prepare the SEB config file:
- Download and install the SEB software via https://www.safeexambrowser.org/download_en.html
- Open the SEB Config Tool from your computer.
- Open the tab General and enter:
- The Start URL for the exam.
- The Administrator password.
This password will prevent the candidates from opening the config file.
- Enter a Quit password and / or an Exit sequence to allow to quit SEB after the exam.
- Optionally add the Close button to the access code page using the procedure below.
Adding a Close SEB button to the access code page
Proceed as follows to add the "Close" button to the access code page, allowing candidates to gracefully quit SEB after the exam:
- Open the tab Exam and enter the assessmentQ link to quit SEB: "https://www.assessmentq.com/closesebformyexam"
- Open the tab Browser and enter the assessmentQ suffix "sebassessmentq".
- Click File > Save settings as to save your config file.
If you need support in setting up the config file, please contact Televic Education via email@example.com.
- SEB is available for Windows, macOS and iOS
- Candidates should install the same version of Safe Exam Browser as the one that was used to generate the config file.