The Recording item can be used for:
- assessment of speaking, pronunciation, or presentation skills
- recordings of oral exams.
A Recording item can't be scored automatically, therefore the scoring mechanism of the Recording item is always set to Manual scoring. This implies that Recording items are always scored in the Grading module.
Note: To be able to make a video recording, the users need to have a webcam installed on their computer.
Proceed as follows to create a Recording item:
- Click in the folder in which you want to add your item.
- Select Recording.
Result: The content pane of the item is opened.
- Enter the item name in the breadcrumb at the top.
- Enter the instruction in the first block.
- Click in the interaction block, containing the placeholder for a video, and optionally upload a media file (audio or video) in the Block properties tab.
- Optionally, select the options you want to enable in the Bloc tab. More information.
- Click Preview to try out your item.
Requirements for end users
End users who start a recording item will be prompted to allow access to their microphone and optionally webcam. This prompt can be slightly different depending on the browser they are using, however, it is important for them to give this access. If they don't, they will not be able to start a recording and thus answer the item.
You can find more information about the system requirements in: System requirements for recording and interpreting
Options for Recording and Interpreting
Grading recording and Interpreting items