When you create an exam, either using the Assignments module or using Quick Publish, you can choose to add an extra layer of security to the exam with Safe Exam Browser.
Safe Exam Browser (SEB) is seamlessly integrated in assessmentQ. The behaviour of Safe Exam Browser and the allowed applications and settings are determined by a .seb configuration file. You can use the default SEB configuration, or upload your own .seb configuration file.
To secure your exam using Safe Exam Browser, proceed as follows:
- In the Assignments module, go to the Security tab of your assignment.
Note: The Security tab is only visible for exams, not for exercises.
- Enable Safe Exam Browser.
Result: the Safe Exam Browser settings are displayed. You will see you still have to choose a SEB configuration file.
- Click the +Add button.
Result: The Safe Exam Browser configuration dialog window appears.
- Select the default SEB configuration file, or upload your own.
Tip: The default configuration of Safe Exam Browser includes
- The SEB taskbar with visible reload button, visible clock, visible Quit button, and active audio control
- Video capture and webcam capture are allowed
- No additional applications allowed
- No URL filtering
- No spell checker
- Embedded content can be used, but the source website (such as youtube) can also be opened
- All links and pdf documents appearing in the assignment can be opened
- Downloaded files cannot be opened
- If your custom SEB configuration file is encrypted with a Settings password, enter that Settings password so assessmentQ can decrypt the file.
- Enter the password to Quit SEB.
Warning: This password may only be known by the test supervisor, not by the candidates. It is typically used to shut down SEB for a candidate in the event of an incident during a test (e.g. when he needs to use another PC).
- Click Save.
Result: the Safe Exam Browser configuration dialog window is closed and your security settings are saved.
The end user experience of an exam secured with SEB
When an exam is secured with SEB,
- the end user will see a launch page explaining that SEB has to be installed on his PC, and containing a PIN code to open the exam in SEB.
- he will only be able to open the exam in Safe Exam Browser, and SEB will use the settings defined in the SEB configuration file.
- SEB will close automatically again when the user finishes his exam.