The Math entry item allows participants to enter math answers using a user-friendly mathematical editor.
Proceed as follows to create/edit a Math entry:
- Select Authoring in the central menu of assessmentQ .
- Open the submodule Items in the navigation bar on the left-hand side of your screen.
Result: The overview of item folders is shown.
- Click in the folder in which you want to add your item.
- Select Math entry.
Result: The content pane of the item is opened.
- Enter the item name in the breadcrumb at the top.
- Select + Add block to add a content block and fill in the instruction.
- Click in the answer block and click on + Problem to add your math problem.
Note: It is possible to enter text in the answer block and to add your math problem inline in the text.
- In the Add a math problem dialogue window:
- Enter your math problem by using the keyboard or by using the math buttons in the toolbar of the math editor at the top.
- Click +Gap at the bottom of the page to add the gap to be completed by the participant and enter the correct answer in the gap.
- Add additional gaps if required.
- Click Save.
Result: The math problem is saved.
- If you want to add additional problems, repeat steps 7 to 9.
- Click Preview to try the item.
Proceed as follows to add additional solutions for the gap(s) in your math problem:
- Select your math problem.
Result: The Problem tab is opened.
- Click to add one or more solutions.
Customising the math editor
You can customise the math editor for participants by defining which buttons should be available in the player. This way, a different set of math-related buttons becomes available depending on the grade or knowledge level of the participants.
Proceed as follows to customise the math editor for participants:
- Select the answer block.
Result: On the right side, the tab Block is opened. By default, all the buttons are activated and they are grouped by category.
- If you want to show the buttons without categories in the player, deselect Group buttons by category.
- If you want to activate/de-activate:
- an entire category of buttons, select or deselect the category.
- a selection of buttons, select or deselect the buttons of your choice.
Learn more about adding assets, adding feedback, selecting the correct scoring mechanism etc. in the section The assesmentQ item bank.