An on the fly assignment is structured as follows:
- An on the fly assignment consists of one or more parts.
- A part contains one or more on the fly folders and optionally fixed items.
- An on the fly folder contains a pool of items.
As an author, you determine how many items the participants will get out of the on the fly folders. The items out of the on the fly folders and the fixed items are shown in the order you have determined.
Participants will see a random selection of items from the on the fly folders. Fixed items (if any) are always shown to all participants. Participants who complete the assignment multiple times will get a different selection of items. Items they have already completed will only be offered again if there are not enough items available in the on the fly folder.
Note: You need appropriate rights to be able to create on the fly assignments. To receive access, contact Televic Education via firstname.lastname@example.org.
To create a new assignment with on the fly item selection, proceed as follows:
- Select Authoring in the central menu of assessmentQ .
- Select Assignments in the navigation bar on the left-hand side of your screen.
Result: You see the list of assignments.
- Click +Add at the top right.
- In the Add assignment pop-up:
- Select the type Exam or Exercise.
- Select on the fly.
- Click Add
Result : The Overview tab of the assignment is shown.
- Enter the name of the assignment and optionally a description.
Result: Your settings are autosaved. The name of the assignment will be shown to the participants.
- Open the Items tab.
Result: You will see that your assignment contains by default one empty Part 1.
- Select Part 1.
Result: You will see that Part 1 contains by default one empty on the fly Folder 1.
Note the on the fly icon preceding the folder name.
- Select the on the fly folder and add items to it:
- Click the Add items button.
- In the Add items popup, select one or more items or folders and click Add to folder at the bottom right.
Result: The popup is closed. You return to the Items overview and the selected items are added to the selected on the fly folder. You see the total number of items and cases that have been added to the folder.
Note: When you have added folders (possibly with subfolders), all items are added as a flat list. The folder structure is not preserved.
- Select how many items and/or cases you want the participant to see out of this folder.
- If you want to add fixed items in the part:
- Select the part.
- Click Add items at the top right.
Result: The Add items popup appears.
- Select one or more items or folders and click Add.
Result: The popup is closed and the selected items are added to the selected part.
- If you want to add additional on the fly folders in the part:
- Select the part.
- Click the on the fly folder button at the top right.
- Repeat step 8.
- To add another part, click the Add part button and repeat step 8.
- Click the Behavior tab and select the assignment template you want to use.
- If your assignment is an exam, click the Security tab and select the security settings you want to apply.
Tip: For more information, see Securing your assignment with Safe Exam Browser
- Click the Result tab, define what you want to show to the user when he finishes the assignment, and choose if you want to send a confirmation e-mail, and which review template must be used for the review.
Tip: The default messages that are displayed when you pass or fail the assignment are defined in the selected assignment template.