In these release notes
assessmentQ 2.10 contains the following new features and improvements:
- Content review module
- Text highlighter in the player
- Computer Algebra System for math
- Option to define the order of assignments in a schedule
- Extra configurable button in the player
- Conjugate verbs in French
- Improvements in the scientific calculator
- API expansions
- Other improvements
Content review module
assessmentQ items often require review by internal or external subject matter experts. The new Content Review module provides support for this item review process:
- An author can create review tasks for a selection of items and assign reviewers to those tasks.
- The reviewer(s) get an e-mail asking them to review a number of items. The e-mail contains a direct link to the review task.
- Reviewers have read-only access to the items and their properties, and they can add comments to the items in the review task.
- When the author finishes the review task, all comments of all reviewers are copied to the items in the item bank. The author can start updating the items and resolve the comments.
The Content review module is added as a submodule of the module Authoring.
The Content review module comes with a new role: the Reviewer. By default, a reviewer only has access to the Content review submodule in Authoring.
Text highlighter in the player
A new supporting tool has been added to the player: the text highlighter.
Participants can select and highlight text in the instruction of a question. The highlighted text is saved, i.e. the highlights remain visible when the student navigates back and forth between questions.
For the participants to be able to use the highlighter, the administrator needs to activate the highlighter in the assignment template.
Computer Algebra System for math
Starting from assessmentQ 2.10, a Computer Algebra System (CAS) can be used to score math entry items.
A CAS is a system that can evaluate equivalent answers for math entry items automatically. It is very helpful when creating math entry items for which the author cannot predict all possible answers. For example, if the answer is 1/2, then 2/4 or 0.5, or 0.50 can also be approved automatically.
Note: The evaluation with CAS requires an internet connection. Participants who don't have an internet connection will see a loading icon when navigating away from a math entry item with CAS enabled. They will have to wait for the internet connection to return before they can proceed.
Defining the order of assignments in a schedule
As a scheduler, you can now:
- define in which order the assignments must appear on the portal when you create a schedule with multiple assignments.
- force the participant to take the assignments one by one in the predefined order, so the second assignment only becomes available when the participant finished the first one.
- For exercises, forcing the assignments to be taken in a predefined order will only work the first time. As soon as all exercises have been finished once, the previous exercises remain available and can be restarted in random order.
- Until today, all assignments were displayed in alphabetical order on the portal independently of the order of assignments in the schedules. For existing schedules, this will not change, so the assignments will remain available in the same order as before.
- If you create new schedules and want to display the assignments in alphabetical order on the portal, you need to place the assignments in alphabetical order in the schedule.
- The order of assignments cannot be changed in live schedules.
Extra configurable button in the player
A custom button has been added to the assignment template. You can configure this button to your needs. You can define:
- the label of the button
- the text in the popup that will be shown to the participants.
By means of this button, you can, for example, provide extra supporting tools in the player, like a dictionary or a translation tool.
In the player, this button is shown to the left of the Help button.
Conjugate verbs in French
Conjugate verbs is our first fully completely AI-powered item type. Up to now, it supported only English texts but starting from assessmentQ 2.10 the algorithm has been extended to support French as well.
The AI algorithm will detect all French or English verbs in a text you pasted, and create a gap for every tense automatically. This is very useful for language teachers and language exams, as it saves the authors a lot of time.
Improvements in the scientific calculator
In assessmentQ 2.10, the following improvements are available in the scientific calculator:
- Irrational numbers (for example 𝜋) can no longer be converted to fractions.
- The result of a calculation with fractions remains a fraction wherever possible.
- Line mode has been removed from the scientific calculator.
The following API expansions have been added:
- Return ID for answer options in $expand=answers
- Return math answers in $expand=answers
- Return CAS settings in the GET items call
- Return item solution in the GET items call
- Review period and order of assignments in POST and PATCH schedules call
- Updating a case in the item bank
When you update a case in the item bank, you can now reload the entire case from within an assignment. So even when you added items to or removed items from the case in the item bank, the entire case will now be updated.
- Searching for users and groups
In every module in the assessmentQ backoffice where you can search for users and groups, both search fields are now linked. For example, when you first select a group, you will only see the users of that group in the Users field.
- Search results
The icons to sort the columns in the search results have been removed as it is not possible to change the order of the search results.
- Deleting in Canvas item
A Quick delete button has been added to the Canvas item allowing users to easily erase content from their answer.
- Maximum file size for images
To avoid performance issues, the maximum file size is now limited to 10MB when you upload a new image in the item bank.
- Limit on bulk actions
Bulk actions in the assessmentQ backoffice are limited to 1000 items. So when you try to move, duplicate, ... more than 1000 items at once, you will see a warning message and will have to reduce the number of selected items.
- i-Learn reporting
It is now possible for teachers to access the reporting for shared i-Learn modules.