Participants sometimes involuntarily double-click the Next button, causing them to accidentally skip a question.
To prevent this, you can activate the navigation option Warning for unanswered questions in your assignment template. This option is available in all navigation modes, but it is particularly interesting in the case of linear navigation, because in linear navigation the participants cannot return to the previous question.
When activated, a warning will be shown to the participants when they navigate away from an unanswered question. The participant can still choose to navigate away without answering the question, but then it is a deliberate choice.
- The Next button in the navigation is disabled and a loading spinner is shown as long as the participant does not close the warning message.
- When an assignment uses linear navigation, there is always a 1 second delay before the Next button becomes enabled again. This delay is always available, even when the warning for unanswered questions is not enabled. This prevents the participant from skipping an item by accident by double-clicking on the Next button.
- When the participant resets an item that was already answered, it will be considered unanswered again and the warning will be displayed again when the participant clicks Next.
- The warning message is not displayed when the time limit of an item, a part or an assignment has been reached. It is displayed, however, when the participant navigates away from an item with a time limit and still has time left when the item is unanswered.
- For the item types Order vertically and Matching, a participant may intentionally decide not to change the initial order. When navigating away, the participant will get this warning as well. When the participant confirms that he wants to navigate away, the item will be marked as answered.
- The warning message for unanswered questions is not shown when a participant reviews an assignment.
To activate the warning for unanswered questions, proceed as follows:
- Select Settings in the central menu of assessmentQ .
- Select Assignment templates in the navigation bar on the left-hand side of your screen.
- Click on the template you want to edit.
Result: The first tab Correction and feedback of the assignment template is opened.
- Click on the tab Navigation.
- Enable the option Warning for unanswered questions.
- If you want to customize the text of the warning message that is shown to the participant:
- Click on the tab Messages and warnings and scroll down to Text shown in the warning for unanswered questions.
- Change the text to your needs.